Monday, May 14, 2007

Chapter 39

One of Brown's most irritating stylistic quirks is his use of italics to suggest interior dialogue. I hope they understand what I'm talking about. But here it makes some sort of sense. Interjections like "Bishop Aringarosa will protect me." and "I am pure. White. Beautiful. Like an angel." seem to suggest responses to a liturgy, as if Silas is taking part in some weird, one-man Mass, and it depicts his inner torment quite well.

Unfortunately, Brown's grasp of psychology seems to peter out there. The clunking suggestion that Silas might just be looking for a father figure is nothing more than Freud for Dummies. And we know he's not the brightest of sparks (his bumbling attempts to cover up the murder of the nun demonstrate that), but would he really fall for the bizarre assertion that Noah was an albino? Next, they'd have us believe that the Priory of Sion exists...

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:32 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

According to a Jewish legend, Noah was born with a body white like snow and hair white as wool

Wikipedia shames you, Mr. Footman.
Imagine Johnny Winter in a himation.

3:33 pm  
Blogger Tim F said...

Ooops.

6:05 am  
Blogger Joel said...

It's probably Brown's fault. I've made up so many bizarre facts in the past that when I actually know something interesting my fiancee refuses to believe me. Someone should write a short cautionary story about it.

7:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home