Thursday, March 08, 2007

Chapter 29

"Loin swaddle".

C'mon, how many pulp thrillers do you get that offer you a phrase as delectable as "loin swaddle"? It sounds like a village in Gloucestershire, or maybe a minor character in a PG Wodehouse novel. Sir Geoffrey Loin-Swaddle, Bt. That kind of thing.

The extent of Silas's delusion becomes clear. Not only does he walk around the church in his pants, smashing up the floor, he also identifies himself with Moses and Job, while all Sister Sandrine can do is to make a few phone calls.

What would Jesus do?

4 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

Actually, loin swaddle is a northern Manitoba term, referring to a particularly touchy and demonstrative infant, i.e. "Get off my leg, you little loin swaddle!"

4:12 pm  
Blogger Billy said...

Loin Swaddle sounds more like a character from a Firbank novel

5:56 pm  
Blogger Spinsterella said...

Oh dear god, I've just nearly spat my museli all over my keyboard.

I know what a loin cloth is, but swaddle?

The only other swaddling clothes I know about are the ones Baby Jesus was wrapped in in the manger.

I reckon Jesus would've twatted the nun too. Nosey bitch.

7:23 am  
Blogger Tim F said...

This is getting like a round of Call My Bluff. I can just see Frank Muir: "Loin swaddle... or lowin swaddelle as it's pronounced in the original Medieval Breton..."

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home